The Italian Roast Rub is excellent on chicken and pork slow roasted to a succulent perfection. But don’t stop there! This recipe will bring a lot of flavor to your everyday salads.
For a creamy version substitute sour cream and/or mayonnaise for the canola oil and olive oil. If you want a lower fat version make another substitution and use nonfat yogurt for the sour cream. It makes a great vegetable dip, chip dip or even baked potato topper!!
Fresh Garlic – 5 toes minced or crushed
Merlyn’s Mystic Italian Roast Rub – ¼ cup
Red Wine Vinegar – ¼ Cup
Balsamic Vinegar – ¼ Cup
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1 cup
Canola Oil – 1 cup
- Combine the garlic, roast rub and vinegars in a glass or stainless steel bowl.
- Whisk together and allow to sit for 5 minutes (if you have a wand blender I recommend using it instead of the whip)
- Combine the oils in a measuring cup.
- As you whisk the herb vinegars slowly add the oils. The slow addition of the oils to the vinegar will help the flavors blend even though they will separate after sitting.
- Store in a shaker jar or dressing carafe with a tight fitting lid to simplify service.
Although Merlyn’s Mystic Italian Roast Rub does need to be refrigerated to keep the flavor at it’s peak for an extended length of time, removing the rub a few hours before it is to be used will allow the extra virgin olive oil to soften as it reaches room temperature and make it easier to work with.
Fresh Asparagus Salad
Try blanching or grilling some fresh asparagus then, while it is still hot, toss with a little of the dressing. Chill and serve as the salad course with Some fresh spring lettuce greens and/or your choice of a variety of toppings: Fresh strawberries, Fire roasted morel mushrooms, Roasted red peppers, Parmesan cheese, Fresh diced Heirloom Tomatoes, Toasted spring garlic slices, Slices of fresh pear or Grilled fresh peach...the sky is the limit!